Monday, January 28, 2019

City of David and City of Silwan

While visiting Jerusalem last summer, I made my way down Ma’alot Ir David Street south of the Temple Mount toward the ancient City of David and a little further to the present Palestinian City of Silwan.  Although I did not take a lot of pictures, I did capture several stills.  Surprisingly, I did not realize that underneath areas of the street on which I was walking Israeli archaeologists are excavating what they claim is an ancient Roman-era road that was used by ancient pilgrims making their way up to the Temple Mount.  The project is not without controversy however.  There are reports that the work is damaging some of the Palestinian homes in the area.  On a more positive note, I noticed that those living in Silwan have a love of horses.    

City of David sign pointing to the ancient city (Summer 2018/LFL)


If I remember correctly, this sign was pointing toward something important (Summer 2018/LFL)


Sign upon entry into Silwan (Summer 2018/LFL)


Summer 2018 (LFL)

Picture going down Ma'alot Ir David Street (Summer 2018/LFL)


Summer 2018 (LFL)



2 comments:

  1. I had the privilege of digging in the “Ir David” (City of David) project back in 1981 under Yigal Shiloh, so I remember well this area, including the town of Silwan. What a great set of memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been meaning to ask you a question. During all my years in college and graduate school we studied the promises made to Abram in Gen 12 and the covenants that were established later in Gen 15, 17, and 22 with a focus on Israel, Christ, and at times the church. Occasionally we talked about the promises made to Abram concerning Ishmael and his descendants. Is there any scholarly basis for considering the descendants of Abram through Ishmael as co-heirs in the promise of the land?

      Delete

Update on Jewish Prayer on the Temple Mount

In an article by Rayhan Uddin in the Middle East Eye , Israeli Minister Ben Gvir says, “If I could do what I wanted, a synagogue would…be e...